Volunteers are crucial to the mission of Dress for Success Indianapolis. Our small staff couldn’t possibly serve over 1,000 women each year without the help of volunteers!
Hundreds of volunteers gave almost 4,000 hours of time in 2018, making it possible for our employees to provide career development services to over 900 women. Opportunities can be one-time or recurring activities, from helping one woman to speaking to 40 women, or behind the scenes help to direct client assistance. If you want to help women become successful in life and work, we can find a volunteer opportunity to match your availability and interest.
What do our volunteers do?
- Personal Shopping – help individual clients select interview or work appropriate attire.
- Boutique Assistance – sort donations, prepare items to go in the boutique, stock the boutique with clothing and accessories.
- Clothing Collections – collect and sort donations dropped off at our office.
- Speak at client workshops or meetings – share your professional expertise or personal experience with women eager to gain work and life skills.
- Client Assistance– work with clients 1:1 or in small groups on job interviewing, resumes, or starting a new job.
- Mentor – provide career focused mentoring to a woman committed to success in the workplace.
- Administrative tasks – complete data entry tasks, projects, or client scheduling.
- Fundraising – help with our annual fundraiser, Stepping Out in Style, or other smaller events to raise money for our programming.
When are volunteers needed?
- Weekday hours for clothing appointments, admin tasks, boutique work and speaking
- Weekday evenings for speaking (2nd and 4th Tuesdays every month)
- Varying times for fundraising, mentoring, and other volunteer roles
How to become a volunteer?
- First, fill out our volunteer application here
- Next, attend a volunteer orientation.
- Then sign up for volunteer role(s) that fit your interest. You’ll get a monthly email listing volunteer needs, plus additional emails for other needs